A Hope full of Show.

So it's the morning of our first preview for "Brimstone and Treacle" at the delightful Hope theatre.

Three weeks of rehearsal seem to have flown by and as is always the case, no matter how long the rehearsal period is, one feels less than prepared for putting our work in front of an audience, but strangely excited by the prospect of doing so.

It's been a great experience so far and one that I'm so glad I stuck with. Four days before rehearsals were due to start, I was offered a couple of days on a very major movie. Nothing demanding in the acting stakes, but it would have made my bank manager very happy and would have been a great credit. Having spent many hours learning "Brimstone and Treacle",  so that I was off the book before rehearsals started, I decided I had already made sufficient investment in the production not to be sidelined by sheer financial concerns.

 The rewards have been great. In the very capable hands of Matthew Parker, an exceptionally organised and inspired director who has the capability of making me feel like the naughty boy in the class on occasion,  we created a piece of work of which I think I will be proud.

The good thing is that we haven't had to do it for nothing. I see absolutely no reason why actors should have to fulfil their passion without being paid. Indeed I wouldn't have done this job if it hadn't been for the Hope Theatre policy of paying people a living wage. I'm not sure how anybody actually lives on the money,  but considering that a friend of mine recently did  an eight week commitment to the Finborough theatre received a total remuneration  £184 for the whole period, I would consider that those of us working on " Brimstone" are doing rather well. Yes we have worked on two bank holidays, but the level of support and professionalism which has greeted us throughout the enterprise has been quite simply amazing.

So I'm hoping my three absolutely delightful fellow actors and I can use this to step out into the light tonight and raise the profile of the Hope theatre even more.

 And if you've got a free night between tonight and May 20 then we'd love to see you.

Book Here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Years Reign

A Single Monty

Living for today